Nutritional Supplements Library
What is Burdock?
Burdock is an herb, a member of the thistle family. The burdock plant grows to a maximum height of approximately three to four feet. It has purple flowers that bloom between the months of June and October. Burdock has alternate (meaning that the leaves grow on both sides of the stem at alternating levels), wavy, heart-shaped leaves that are green on the top and whitish on the bottom. The deep roots (used primarily for medicinal purposes) are brownish-green, or nearly black on the outside.
What is the effective dosage of burdock?
The effective dosage is 2-4 ml of burdock root tincture daily. For the dried root preparation in capsule form, some herbalists recommend 1-2 grams three times daily.
What are the benefits of burdock supplementation?
• Burdock is a number one in treating all types skin conditions.
• It promotes urine flow and perspiration.
• It promotes kidney function and helps remove acid build-up within the body, especially sulfuric, phosphoric and uric acids.
• It acts like diuretic.
• It's roots and seeds contain iron, essential oils, manganese, sulfur, tannins, zinc, and Vitamins B1, B6, B12, & E.
• It purifies the blood.
• It also has been used to treat anorexia nervosa(eating disorder).
What are the side effects of burdock supplementation?
Use of burdock root in the dosages listed here is generally safe.
• It is not recommended for pregnant or breast feeding women.