Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
1) This is the starting position.-Lie on the back with the knees bent and the heels touching the buttocks.The feet and knees should be about 30 cm apart. Place the palms on the floor beside the head with the fingers pointing towards the shoulders.
2) Slowly raise the body and arch the back, allowing the crown of the head to support the weight of the upper body. Move the hands in further towards the body for more support if necessary.
3) Straighten the arms and legs as much as possible and lift the head and trunk from the floor.
4) Try to arch the back as high as possible in the final position. Straighten the knees further by moving the trunk towards the head.
5) Let the head hang between the straight arms.
6) Lift the heels and balance on the balls of the feet and the hands for a few seconds, then lower the heels. Hold the final position for as long as is comfortable.
7) Slowly lower the body so the head rests on the floor and then lower the rest of the body This is one round.
Inhale in the starting position.Retain the breath inside while raising the body.Retain the breath inside or breathe normally in the final position.Exhale while lowering the body.
Chakrasana is beneficial to the nervous, digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular and glandular systems. It influences all the hormonal secretions and relieves various gynaecological disorders.
1) Chakrasana should not be practised by people with any illness, weak wrists, during pregnancy or when feeling generally tired.
2) Chakrasana should preferably be practised on a soft carpet which will protect the head.
3) It should not be practised on such base which may slip.
4) First try to build your arms strength to practice this,ask your teacher to spot you.