Nutritional Supplements Library
Garcinia (Hydroxycitric acid)
What is Garcinia (Hydroxycitric acid) ?
Garcinia (also known as Garcinia Cambogia or Mangosteen Oil tree) is a plant of the family Clusiaceae native to Asia, Australia, tropical and southern Africa, and Polynesia. Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) is a compound found in Garcinia cambogia, a type of fruit. HCA has a chemical structure similar to that of citric acid (the primary acid in citrus fruits).It's fruit may resemble a small yellow or reddish pumpkin, or it may have a unique purple color. It has a distinctive sweet acid taste. When fully ripe it is too acid to eat fresh by itself. It contains 16 - 30% HCA (hydroxycitric acid, a derivative of citric acid) by dry weight.
During 1970s in their research for a novel weight loss aid, the pharmaceutical company Hoffmann-LA roche discovered that HCA has antiobesity functions in the body. In India, it is manufactured by Himalaya Drug Company.
What is the effective dosage of Garcinia supplement?
Standardized (50% of HCA) Garcinia should be taken before meal, 250 to 1,000 mg 3 times daily. Optimally, you may have to take Garcinia for anywhere between 3 and 6 months to experience the full range of benefits. Individual results can vary.
What are the benefits of Garcinia supplementation?
• Garcinia blocking lipogenesis or conversion of starches and sugars (Excess of Carbohydrates) into fat, therefore it prevents accumulation of more fats in body.
• It promotes the oxidation of lipids and spares carbohydrates. This action will result in lower blood levels of cholesterol and lipid i.e. a better lipid profile.
• It contains significant amounts of Vitamin C and has been used as a heart tonic.
• Because of garcinia,As excess of glucose is spared from conversion to fat, this excess glucose is mediated by gluconeogenesis pathway to form glycogen. Glycogen signals the brain satiety center that sufficient food has been taken. So glycogen production with this herb further suppresses appetite. Therefore suppresses the hunger.
• It promotes thermogenesis process i.e. body's production of heat. This burns more calories and excess of stored fat.
• Garcinia Garcinia lowers the formation of LDL and triglycerides.
What are side effects of Garcinia supplementation?
No serious side effects have been reported from animal or human studies involving either fruit extracts or the concentrated chemical. However, consuming more than 10 g per day could prevent mineral absorption or cause gastric irritation. Garcinia does not contain any addictive components and can be taken without fear of addiction for extended periods of time.
• it is not for use by children or by pregnant women or breastfeeding woman.