Every individual has blood pressure which is necessary to move blood through arteries to provide oxygen to the tissues of body. Hypertension is elevated blood pressure, it is a condition in which systolic pressure exceeds 160mm Hg and diastolic pressure exceeds 95mm Hg. Hypertension impairs the pumping function of the heart and if untreated damages the heart, brain kidney .
The main factors of hypertension are heredity, stress ,obesity, smoking, narrowing of the main blood vessels due to hormone secretions like cortisone, aldosterone, adrenaline, noradrenaline.
Headache, dizziness, failing memory, shortness of breath, pain over the heart, tirdness.
Preventing heart disease with optimal nutrition
The B complex
• Inadequate consumption of B complex vitamins , forms homocysteine in blood which damages artery.
•50 mg of B complex per day gives the body everything it needs to metabolize homocysteine into harmless byproducts.
Beta - carotene
•Beta-carotene inhibits the laying down of plaque in artery walls.
• It also concentrates in plaque that have already developed and stop their further progression.
•It increases the level of HDL cholesterol, the more protective form of cholesterol. •Lycopene is carotenoid found in tomatoes , plays important role along with beta-carotene in protecting LDL cholesterol from sticking to artery walls.
•Food sources are carrots , sweet potatoes, yellow and orange pepper, apricot and leafy vegetables.
•It prevents cholesterol from damaging process called glycosylation, which in turn clog arteries
•It is necessary for normal collagen metabolism and for maintaining the integrity of the vascular wall.
•Vitamin B6 deficient diet will lead to clogged arteries.
• Severely magnesium deficiency will stop heart beating , because heart uses calcium to contract and needs magnesium to relax.
• Increase cardiac output.
• Prevents the buildup of plaque on artery wall.
• Food sources- nuts, seeds, whole grain, seafood, leafy green.
•Higher intake of vitamin C provides higher level of beneficial HDL cholesterol.
• Less cholesterol is absorbed from food when vitamin c is present.
•Food sources- all citrus fruits, strawberry, tomato, broccoli, leafy green.
• Selenium and chromium are 2 trace minerals required for heart disease prevention.
• It stimulates the production of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase, which protects the development of heart and artery disease.
• It restrict the amount of toxic metals that can build up in body.
• Food sources -cereal grains, egg are good sources of selenium
•All spices contains valuable antioxidant flavonoids.
• It lowers cholesterol, nourish the heart, thin the blood, and prevent cholesterol oxidation.
•Food sources- capsicum, garlic ginger, turmeric.
Avoid food stuff
• Salt in cooking or at the table.
• Salt preserved food - canned food, pickles.
• Highly salted food such as potato chips, ketchups and sauces.
• Baking powder, ajinomoto,
• Biscuits, cakes, bread, pastries.
• Cheese , salted butter.
• Sugar- as it decreases chromium & increases the cholesterol raising property of saturated fat.
Decrases the beneficial bacteria that keep cholesterol low.
Also interferes with the antioxidant activity of vitamin C.