Sit in meditative asana (sukhasana,vajrasana etc),back and head straight ,hands resting on knees.
Close the eyes and relax the whole body.concentrate on breathing,check which nostril is in function,open the not-functioning nostril by lifting it by index and thumb.
Inhale deeply through both nostrils, expanding the abdomen and exhale with a forceful and fast contraction of the abdominal muscles. Do not strain.
The next inhalation takes place by passively allowing the abdominal muscles to expand. Inhalation should be passive recoil. Perform such 10 respirations to begin with,inhale and exhale as deep as possible.this is one round.
Benefits-1) It purifies Ida and Pingala nadis.
2) It supplies oxygen to respiratory system and increases the oxygen capacity.
3) It aids in weight loss.
4) It improves concentration.
5) It tones abdominal muscles and digestive system.
6) It alleviates asthma upto certain extent.
7) It is also very effective on common cold.
1) In this techniques, exhalation must be by abdominal muscles contraction,avoid using chest muscles.
2) As the abdominal muscles become stronger, you can increase the respirations.
3) People with hernia, abdominal pain,hypertension ,vertigo,stroke should avoid doing kapalbhati.