In sansrit language shitali means cold,shitali pranayam gives cooling effect to body, during the normal breathing the air becomes immediately warm as soon as it enters through the noes.in this technique of pranayam air is sucked through the wet channel of tongue, which give cooling effect , good news for sahara people,this techniques of pranayam is easy to do.
Purpose - this pranayam gives cooling effect to body.
- Sit in any comfortable meditation posture with the hands on the knees,back straight,chin straight.
- Close the eyes and relax the whole body.
- Extend the tongue outside the mouth as far as possible without Strain.
- Roll the lateral sides of the tongue up so that it forms a tube.
- Inhale and draw the breath in through this tube. At the end of inhalation, draw the tongue in, close the mouth and slowly exhale through the nose.
- Practice yogic breathing throughout. The breath should produce a noise similar to rushing wind.
- A feeling of icy coldness will be experienced on the tongue and the roof of the mouth. This is one round.
- Shitali pranayam cools the body and mind as well .
- It helps to reduce mental and emotional excitation.
Guidelines / cautions-
- This pranayam should not be in winter or in cool weather.
- People with hypertension or respiratory disorders should not practice this.
- Wait atleast three-four after meal before starting pranayama,because food in stomach places pressure on diaphragm and lungs.
- In this pranayam you breathe through mouth so make sure,air is clean and pollution free.