Nutritional Supplements Library
Androstenedione ( andro, 4-androstene-3, 1 7-dione)
What is Androstenedione?
It is a prohormone(A prohormone is a substance that is a precursor to a hormone, usually having minimal hormonal effect by itself.). Androstenedione (also known as 4-androstenedione) is a 19-carbon steroid hormone produced in the adrenal glands and the gonads as an intermediate step in the biochemical pathway that produces the androgen testosterone and the estrogens estrone and estradiol. It is the common precursor of male and female sex hormones. Androstenedione is manufactured as dietary supplement, often called andro for short.
It is also commonly found in the pollen of Scotch pine trees. Studies indicate that Andro is a direct testosterone precursor and when taken orally, will increase blood levels of both androstenedione and testosterone. Blood levels start rising about 15 minutes after oral administration of androstenedione and stay elevated for around three hours. A peak in blood testosterone levels is seen around one to one and a half hours after ingestion. According to the German patent for androstenedione, 50 mg given orally to men raised plasma testosterone levels from 140% to 183% of normal, 100 mg of oral androstenedione raised levels from 211% to 337% of normal. Andro, much like DHEA, can have powerful effects on muscle-building and athletic performance. DHEA is two steps away from becoming testosterone. However, unlike DHEA, andro is only one step away from testosterone. Therefore, by itself, it is not a muscle builder; but after the liver converts it to testosterone.
What is the effective dosage of Androstenedione?
Dietary supplement dosages of androstenedione range from 5 to over 50mg per day in the morning or 60 minutes before working out. Experts suggest the best way to take andro is by cycling it. The proper cycle is six weeks of taking it followed by two weeks off. However, it's in your best interest to take an equally long off period, or even longer off period. This gives your natural systems a chance to recover.
What are the benefits of Androstenedione supplementation?
• It Increases Lean Muscle Mass.
• It Increases Strength & Endurance.
• It Improves Muscle Recovery.
• It Improves Protein Synthesis & Nitrogen Retention.
• It Increases Libido (Sex Drive).
• It Elevates Testosterone Levels, Androstenedione is the no. 1 muscle building supplement in the world.
What are the side effects of androstenedione supplementation?
• IAndrostenedione supplementation may lead to elevated plasma estrogen concentration, which can lead to estrogenic side effects like breast development in men, breast cancer, and pancreatic cance.
• Using Androstenedione may lead to kidney and liver damage.
• You may also experience acne problems and oily skin - acne is associated with testosterone.
• IIt can lead to premature baldness in men.
• Androstenedione can enlarge prostates, reduce sperm production and increase aggression.
• It can also lead to testicles shrinkage, infertility, loss of libido, and even impotence. **
• Androstenedione can disrupt female menstrual cycles.
• It is not recommended for women, as It could lead to Deepen voice and increase facial hair growth, and can also cause enlarged clitoris
• It can lower HDL cholesterol (the good kind of cholesterol)
• It's not recommended for teenagers to use Andro, since alterations in hormone balance at a young age has adverse effects. If you're under 18, you should not use Androstenedione prohormones.