Nutritional Supplements Library
What is evening primrose?
Oenothera is a genus of about 125 species of annual, biennial and perennial herbaceous flowering plants, native to North and South America. It is the type genus of the family Onagraceae. Common names include evening primrose, suncups, and sundrops.Evening primrose oil (EPO) is derived from evening primrose plant seeds.It grows in mild climate of North American and Europe as well as many other areas of the world with similar climates. Evening primrose plants may grow anywhere from 3 to 7 feet in height.Although not actually a member of the primrose family, this willow herb gets its name from the similarity between the color of its yellow flowers and that of real primroses.True to its name, evening primrose flowers open in the evening and fade in bright sunlight.
What is the effective dosage of evening primrose oil supplementation?
The effective dosage of prime rose oil supplementation is 4 to 5 grams per day, The supplement should contain approximately 10% GLA.
What are the benefits of evening primerose supplementation?
• Evening primrose oil contains substantial amounts of polysaturated omega-6 fatty acids, essential fatty acids (EFAs) which are needed by the body to regulate a number of activities including insulin utilization, heart function, and mood. Since the body does not produce EFAs, they must be ingested through proper diet or supplementation.
• It has also been used for controlling symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
• IT have anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic activities.
• It Beneficial for victims of coronary artery disease.
• It improves eczema and dermatitis.
• It improves rheumatoid arthritis.
• It may aid in weight loss
What are the side effects of primerose supplementation?
Although rare, side effects of Primerose includes Indigestion, nausea, soft stools
Those suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy may experience a worsening of symptoms if they use primrose oil.