Nutritional Supplements Library
What is Gymnema sylvestre?
Gymnema sylvestre is an herb native to the tropical forests of southern and central India where it has been used as a naturopathic treatment for diabetes for nearly two millennia. In India it is known as Gur-mar (Hindi word) means sugar destroyer. The plants also goes under many other names such as; Gurmari, Gurmarbooti, Gurmar, periploca of the woods, meshasring and mesbasringi. Leaves are found to be antidiabetic, and insulinotropic.It contains Gymnemic acid (GA), (+) quercitol, lupeol, ?-amyrin, stigmasterol etc., GA I, II, III and IV are anti sweet substance from the leaves of Gymnema sylvestris.
What is the effective dosage of Gymnema sylvestre supplementation?
The effective dosage of Gymnema sylvestre is usually taken at a dosage of 400 to 600 mg daily of an extract standardized to contain 24% gymnemic acid.
What are the benefits of Gymnema sylvestre supplementation?
• Gymnema sylvestre alters the taste of sugar when it is placed in the mouth, thus some use it to fight sugar cravings. This is effect is short lived (15 mins).
• It reduces blood sugar levels when used for an extended period of time and hence lose weight.
• It Lowers blood cholesterol levels.
• It Balances insulin levels.
• It is also used for snake bite, but it is not proven clinically.
What are the side effects of Gymnema sylvestre supplementation?
It is very safe and effective. But extensive and high dosage studies have not been performed therefore it is safe to use it in short term. Mild gastrointestinal upset may occur if it is taken on an empty stomach so consumption with meals is recommended
• People with diabetes should consult their doctor before taking it.
• Avoid taking it immediately after exercise (when sugar level is very low to avoid hypoglycemia).
• It is not safe for children or pregnant or breast feeding females.