Nutritional Supplements Library
What is HMB?
HMB is short form for beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. It is a new and exciting supplement that is one of the most popular body building supplements today. HMB is a metabolite of leucine, one of the body's essential BBCA (branch chain amino acid). It plays a part in protein synthesis and was discovered by Dr. Steve Nissen in scientific studies to purportedly increase muscle mass and decrease muscle breakdown. It should be noted however that Nissen held the original patent on the metabolite as a nutritional supplement. It can be found, in small quantities, in grapefruit, alfalfa, and catfish.
HMB production is protected by a patent owned by the Iowa State University Research Foundation, or ISURF. This patent has been licensed to a company called Metabolic Technologies Inc. (MTI) and so far it seems MTI has contracted with only one company, EAS (Experimental and Applied Sciences) of Golden, Colorado, to market the stuff (their fax number for enquiries is 001-303-279-6465). If you find another company's label on a bottle of HMB, it may not be the real thing. The very welcome aspect is, it is not banned by IOC (international Olympic committee).
What are the Effective supplement dosage of HMB?
Effective dosages would be 3 gram for men and 2 grams for woman, HMB is water-soluble and that some of each dose will be lost in your urine. The proportion that is lost may increase with dosage. If you make the decision to try HMB and are wondering whether to take the 3 grams all at once or in smaller amounts spread throughout the day, bear in mind that HMB is water-soluble and that some of each dose will be lost in your urine. The proportion that is lost may increase with dosage.Therefore it wiser to divide the dose and take it at regular intervals
What are the Benefits of HMB supplementation?
• HMB plays a role in the synthesis of muscle tissue. It has the ability to burn fat and builds muscle consistently in response to exercise.
• it also helps endurance athlete in several ways: first, by limiting protein breakdown, it could speed your recovery from tough workouts, allowing you to fit more quality training into your schedule. The idea is that since there's less muscle destruction after a workout, there's less that needs to be rebuilt, so recovery occurs more quickly.
• By limiting some of the protein catabolism and wear and tear produced when athletes bombard their muscles with both prolonged (endurance) and heavy-load (strength) work, help athletes to become more fatigue-proof AND powerful.
• It is proven fact that HMB can reduce the levels of a chemical called 3-methylhistidine (in the urine test).
3-methylhistidine is a marker of protein degradation (breakdown), the more 3-methylhistidine that appears in the urine, the greater the rate at which muscles are breaking down.
• It improves the recovery from strenuous exercise in endurance athletes as well. Plasma levels of two key muscle enzymes which are often considered to the markers of muscle damage, CK and LDH, also were lower with the HMB supplementation.
What are the Side effects of HMB supplementation?
HMB is not a hormone, it is metabolite of essential amino acid leucine.There have been no reported side effects in short term clinical studies so use it for short term intervals upto three months ,until long term studies confirms long term safety. As it is water soluble, excess HMB ends up being excreted in urine.