1) THE STARTING POSITION - Sit on a firm surface with your legs extended straight out in front of you, back straight, Stack the shoulders directly on top of the hips and palms besides the glutes.
2) Then bend your right knee and put the foot on the floor, with the heel as close to the right sitting bone as possible. Keep the left leg strong and rotated slightly inward; ground the head of the thigh bone into the floor. Press the back of the left heel and the base of the big toe away from the pelvis. Also press the inner right foot actively into the floor, but soften the inner right groin to receive the pubis as you twist. Grounding the straight-leg thigh and bent-knee foot will help you lengthen your spine, which is always the first prerequisite of a successful twist.
3) With an exhalation, rotate your torso to the right and wrap your left arm around the right thigh. Hold the outer thigh with your left hand, then pull the thigh up as you release the right hip toward the floor. Press your right fingertips onto the floor just behind your pelvis to lift the torso slightly up and forward.
4) Remember to keep your straight leg and bent-knee foot grounded. Sink the inner right groin deeper into the pelvis, then lengthen your front belly up out of the groin along the inner right thigh. Continue lengthening the spine with each inhalation, and twist a little more with each exhalation. Hug the thigh to your belly, then lean back against your shoulder blades into an upper-back backbend. Gently turn your head to the right to complete the twist in your cervical spine.
5) Stay in the pose for 5 seconds to 15 seconds, release with an exhalation, reverse the legs and twist to the left for an equal length of time.
Marichyasana improves the flexibility of the shoulders muscles , lower back muscles and neck muscles. It relieves mild backache and hip pain. It stimulates the central nervous system.
Guidelines / Cautions:
This asana should not be practiced by those with serious back or spine injury. Also avoid this pose if you have: High or low blood pressure, Migraine, Diarrhea, Headache and Insomnia